Here are a few of my favorite college planning reference books and websites organized by category. What other references do you like and use?
Figuring out what makes a college right for you: College Match
College Majors: Book of Majors
· The Princeton Review, The Best 3xx Colleges
· Fiske Guide to Colleges
· America’s Best Colleges for B Students
· Colleges That Change Lives
· Creative Colleges: A Guide for Student Actors, Artists, Dancers, Musicians and Writers
· The K&W Guide to Colleges for Students with Learning Differences
· Rugg’s Recommendations on the Colleges
College Search Sites:
Chance for acceptance: Naviance scattergrams from your high school
· Financial Aid information- http://www.finaid.org/
· FAFSA Web site - http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
· CSS Financial Aid PROFILE - https://student.collegeboard.org/css-financial-aid-profile
· Federal Student Aid - http://studentaid.ed.gov/
· Expected Family Contribution Calculator - https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/paying-your-share/expected-family-contribution-calculator
· Some legitimate college scholarship search sites:
· “A Pocket Guide To Choosing a College: Questions to Ask on Your College Visits” by the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) - http://nsse.indiana.edu/pdf/NSSE_PocketGuide.pdf
· On-line visit – www.youniversitytv.com
Common Application: http://www.commonapp.org/
College Essay: Conquering the College Admissions Essay on 10 Steps
Going to College Advice Guide: The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College
Expected Pay when you Graduate: www.payscale.com
For students with Learning Differences:
· “K&W Guide to Colleges for Students with Learning Disabilities or Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder” by Marybeth Kravets and Imy Wax.
· Information on SAT and ACT accommodations – http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/ssd and http://www.act.org/aap/disab/index.html.
· “Questions for the Office of Disability Support” by Rana Slosberg on http://tourcollege.blogspot.com/2010/09/questions-for-office-of-disability.html.