Information and insights gathered from visiting colleges.
Search This Blog
Thursday, August 17, 2017
Tips for College Freshmen
I hope these tips will help your children or students get through the first semester of college with good grades, good health, new friends, not too much homesickness, and no regrets.
1. Attend class regularly.
2. Do your homework. Plan on doing two hours of school work out of class for every hour in class.
3. When you don’t understand something in class, get help from the school’s tutoring center and/or visit the professor during office hours with your questions right away.
4. Find a good place to study on campus, like the library.
5. Don’t leave big projects until the last minute.
1. Find and join some clubs, as soon as possible. Take advantage of the activity fair during orientation or early in the first semester to learn what clubs are available.
2. Keep your dorm room door open when you are in. This makes it easier for you and your hallmates to get to know each other.
3. Eat your meals with other students. Make mealtime a social event.
4. If you are a residential student, don’t go home on the weekends.
5. Set up groundrules with your roommate.
6. Talk with your Residential Advisor about problems you are having.
1. Get at least seven hours of sleep a night.
2. Eat a healthy breakfast, lunch and supper.
3. Know and use the services the school has to offer, as needed. These may include health services, job placement services, recreation facilities, tutoring service, disability services, and more.
4. Exercise regularly.
5. Manage your time and your money.
6. Do things in moderation.
7. Be true to yourself and your values.
8. Don’t do things that are illegal, immoral or unethical.
9. And last but not least, communicate with your family.
What other tips would you give?
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
college freshmen. college tips
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)